Quality Legal Representation

Close to Home

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Auto Insurance Law

Pennsylvania’s Auto Insurance Laws

In Pennsylvania, drivers are required to purchase auto insurance. While policies vary widely, there are certain legal parameters that are consistent. For example, policies are required to provide liability coverage and personal injury protection (PIP), and may include some protection against uninsured or underinsured drivers.

From our office in Pottstown, attorney George Gerasimowicz has been representing motor vehicle accident victims throughout Montgomery County and the entire tri-county area for over 40 years. He knows Pennsylvania’s auto insurance laws like the back of his hand. He will review the circumstances surrounding your accident and your rights under all applicable insurance policies to make sure you get full compensation for your injuries.

Read on for answers to frequently asked questions about Pennsylvania’s auto insurance laws.

What Type Of Compensation Can I Recover?

In general, you can recover compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. However, your right to these forms of compensation depends largely on the circumstances surrounding the accident and the insurance policies involved.

How Does Fault Come Into Play?

Pennsylvania is a no-fault state — your right to compensation does not change based on who caused the accident. Instead, the amount and type of compensation you are entitled to after an accident depends largely on the elections you made when purchasing auto insurance.

Under the law, drivers are required to purchase auto insurance. The law requires a minimum of $5,000 in medical coverage and $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident in liability coverage. Drivers can elect to purchase additional insurance, such as uninsured/underinsured insurance and work loss insurance.

If you elected full-tort insurance, you can pursue compensation for your injuries no matter how minor they are. Drivers who purchase limited-tort coverage potentially give up their right to pursue compensation for pain and suffering unless they are seriously injured. The law defines “serious injuries” as death, permanent scarring or disfigurement, or serious impairment of bodily function.

Do not give up your right to sue, and do not leave yourself and your family unprotected. When you are purchasing insurance, make sure you:

  • Elect full-tort coverage
  • Buy uninsured/underinsured coverage
  • Make your policies stackable

Who Pays For My Medical Bills And Lost Wages?

Regardless of who caused the accident, any medical bills incurred, or wages lost, as a result of the accident are paid by your own insurance company.

It is important to note, if you were not at fault for the accident, your insurance rates can’t increase — even though your insurance company is the one covering your medical costs and lost wages.

Can I Recover For My Pain And Suffering?

If you are deemed less at fault than the other party, you are entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering. This compensation is paid by the other party’s insurer. However, if they are uninsured or underinsured, your ability to obtain compensation may be limited.

Talk To A Lawyer About Your Rights

For more information about your legal rights after a motor vehicle accident, contact our firm. Call us at 610-427-5828. Consultations are free and injury cases are taken on a contingency basis — you won’t pay us a fee until we get compensation for you.