A house fire can go from a spark to a blaze that will burn out of control in under two minutes. Keep that in mind if you think you’ll have time to battle the blaze or make an orderly exit. It happens fast. You must be ready in advance.
If you live in a rental property, be sure you know what fire hazards to watch out for. Most house fires begin in the kitchen, but they can start anywhere due to faulty wiring, items that are too close to heaters, overuse of outlets, poorly installed light fixtures or clogged exhaust vents from the washer and dryer — just to name some of the potential causes. When you see these issues, speak up and make sure that your landlord knows that repairs are needed.
You also have a right to proper safety equipment. Does the home have the right number for smoke alarms? Do they all have batteries? Are they all certified and approved models? Do you have multiple exits in case a fire is in one part of the building?
There are cases where landlords and property owners try to cut corners or simply neglect to take fire safety seriously. When you think about that fire spreading in less than two minutes, it’s clear just how dangerous this is for you and anyone else who is living in the space.
If you suffer injuries in a fire or a related issue, make sure you are well aware of the legal rights that you have to compensation for your medical bills and other costs.