Quality Legal Representation

Close to Home

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Premises Liability
  4.  » Business owners may be responsible for on-premise injuries

Business owners may be responsible for on-premise injuries

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2018 | Premises Liability |

People who are injured on the properties of others in Pennsylvania might be able to file civil claims for recovery under a theory of premises liability. Slip-and-fall accidents, in which a person slips or trips and is injured, are among the most common premise liability personal injury claims. Business might be liable if people get injured on their premises due to poor lighting conditions, torn carpets, unsafe staircases, wet floors or other hazards.

Typically, in order to prove liability, the injured party in a premises liability personal injury action is required to demonstrate that he or she sustained the injuries because of a dangerous condition that the property owner knew about or should have known about. The term dangerous condition might refer to something that represents an unreasonable risk to invitees or other people. The patrons and guests of a business are presumed to notice obvious and avoidable dangers, so business owners may not be liable for injuries that happen due to those.

An injured party may have to prove that the owner of the premises was aware of the hazard. In order to do that, he or she might demonstrate that the owner created or caused the condition. An injured victim might also prove that the owner noticed the condition was present for an extended period and failed to rectify it, or he or she violated statutes, leading to the dangerous condition.

Individuals who sustain injuries while on other people’s premises might be entitled to compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses or other damages. An attorney with experience in personal injury law might be able to help by gathering evidence in support of a person’s claims or identifying at-fault parties. A lawyer might negotiate a money settlement or draft and file a premises liability claim in civil court.